Corruptions

From Project Diablo 2 Wiki
(Redirected from Tainted Worldstone Shard)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Worldstone shard.png

Worldstone Shards are new items which drop throughout the game and can be used to corrupt equipment and maps. Corruption results include adding sockets (if applicable), adding a corruption modifier as listed below, or turning the item into a random rare of the same type ("bricked" item). Corrupted items cannot be corrupted again, but they can be modified by other recipes.

To use a Worldstone Shard, put it into the Horadric Cube with another item and press the Transmute button. For maps, press the button twice.

There are also Tainted Worldstone Shards which are dropped by Rathma and can be used to corrupt Annihilus.

Equipment Corruptions[edit]

Equipment items can gain sockets (if applicable), gain a corruption modifier, or turn into a random rare.

Sockets can only be added to 0-socket items that are capable of gaining sockets: helms, chests, shields, and non-throwing weapons. The maximum sockets an item can get is always restricted by the item base. For example, an un-upgraded Vampire Gaze cannot gain more than 2 sockets because Grim Helm has a maximum of 2 sockets.

Regular items (ethereal or non-ethereal) cannot gain corruption modifiers, but can gain sockets (up to the maximum amount of sockets for that item) or turn into a random rare. Runewords are built in regular items that already have sockets, so they can't be corrupted. Corrupting a regular item is akin to using the socketing recipe on it, and can even be done with inferior/superior items.

  • Regular Equipment
    • 50% chance to gain sockets (up to the maximum amount of sockets)
    • 50% chance to turn into a random rare
  • Other Equipment (Socketable)
    • 25% chance to gain sockets (1-3 for armor, 1-4 for one-handed weapons, 1-6 for two-handed weapons)
    • 50% chance to gain a modifier (24% low-rarity, 16% mid-rarity, 10% high-rarity)
    • 25% chance to turn into a random rare
  • Other Equipment (Unsocketable)
    • 75% chance to gain a modifier (36% low-rarity, 24% mid-rarity, 15% high-rarity)
    • 25% chance to turn into a random rare

For non-regular items, if the corruption result adds sockets, these are the odds for how many sockets may be added:

  • Armors (Helms, Chests, Shields) = 1-3 sockets (72% for 1, 20% for 2, 8% for 3)
  • Weapons (One-Handed) = 1-4 sockets (40% for 1, 32% for 2, 16% for 3, 12% for 4)
  • Weapons (Two-Handed) = 1-6 sockets (24% for 1, 22% for 2, 18% for 3, 16% for 4, 12% for 5, 8% for 6)


Socketable items can be further improved with the relatively uncommon Larzuk's Puzzlebox, which can be used to add 2-4 sockets to two-handed weapons or 1-2 sockets to other items. Larzuk's Puzzlepiece can be used the same way and is more common, but cannot be used with unique/set items.

In ideal circumstances, players can either aim for max-socket corruptions, or high-rarity corruptions with sockets added by puzzleboxes. High-rarity corruption modifiers are generally slightly stronger than 2 sockets on weapons or 1 socket on armors and are therefore best-in-slot for most scenarios, however more sockets allows for more customization.

Due to the value of puzzleboxes compared to worldstone shards, it's generally better to corrupt items before puzzleboxing them. Using a puzzlebox first will result in a higher chance to get a corruption modifier when corrupting (75% instead of 50%), but the chance to "brick" the item remains the same (25%) so the puzzlebox may be wasted.

Weapon Corruption Mods

Low-Rarity (48% chance) Mid-Rarity (32% chance) High-Rarity (20% chance)
+[40-80]% Enhanced Damage +10% Faster Cast Rate +1 to All Skills
+[100-250] to Attack Rating +[20-30]% Increased Attack Speed +[20-30]% Increased Attack Speed
[20-30]% Chance of Crushing Blow
+[125-175]% Enhanced Damage to Demons
+[200-300] to Attack Rating against Demons
+[20-40]% Enhanced Damage
[5-8]% Life Stolen per Hit
+[80-120]% Enhanced Damage
+20% Increased Attack Speed
+[8-12]% Faster Hit Recovery +[200-300] to Attack Rating +[80-120]% Enhanced Damage
+[250-350] to Attack Rating
+[30-50] to Mana [20-30]% Chance of Crushing Blow +[50-70]% Enhanced Damage
[15-25]% Deadly Strike
+[3-6] Life after each Hit [20-30]% Deadly Strike +[50-70]% Enhanced Damage
Ignores Target's Defense
+[4-6] Life after each Kill -[5-10]% to Enemy Fire Resistance +10% Faster Cast Rate
+5% to Fire Skill Damage
+[2-5] to Mana after each Kill -[5-10]% to Enemy Cold Resistance +10% Faster Cast Rate
+5% to Cold Skill Damage
[20-30]% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items -[5-10]% to Enemy Lightning Resistance +10% Faster Cast Rate
+5% to Lightning Skill Damage
Requirements -[25-50]% -[5-10]% to Enemy Poison Resistance +10% Faster Cast Rate
+5% to Poison Skill Damage

Shield Corruption Mods

Low-Rarity (48% chance) Mid-Rarity (32% chance) High-Rarity (20% chance)
+[20-30]% Faster Hit Recovery Indestructible
+[50-80]% Enhanced Defense
+1 to All Skills
+[50-80]% Enhanced Defense +10% Faster Cast Rate 10% Reduced Curse Duration
Replenish Life +[15-25] +[10-20]% Faster Block Rate
[5-10]% Increased Chance of Blocking
All Resistances +[22-30]
Regenerate Mana [15-25]% Increase Maximum Life [4-6]% Physical Damage Taken Reduced by [4-6]%
Fire Resist +[35-40]% Physical Damage Taken Reduced by [6-10] +[4-5]% to Maximum Fire Resist
Fire Resist +[15-20]%
Cold Resist +[35-40]% Magic Damage Taken Reduced by [6-10] +[4-5]% to Maximum Cold Resist
Cold Resist +[15-20]%
Lightning Resist +[35-40]% Attacker Takes Damage of [4-594] ([4-6] per Level) +[4-5]% to Maximum Lightning Resist
Lightning Resist +[15-20]%
Poison Resist +[35-40]% Cannot Be Frozen +[4-5]% to Maximum Poison Resist
Poison Resist +[15-20]%

Chest Corruption Mods

Low-Rarity (48% chance) Mid-Rarity (32% chance) High-Rarity (20% chance)
+[20-30]% Faster Hit Recovery Indestructible
+[50-80]% Enhanced Defense
+1 to All Skills
+[50-80]% Enhanced Defense +10% Faster Cast Rate 10% Reduced Curse Duration
Replenish Life +[15-25] +[10-15]% Faster Run/Walk All Resistances +[15-20]
Regenerate Mana [15-25]% Increase Maximum Life [4-6]% Physical Damage Taken Reduced by [4-6]%
Fire Resist +[30-35]% Physical Damage Taken Reduced by [6-10] +[4-5]% to Maximum Fire Resist
Fire Resist +15%
Cold Resist +[30-35]% Magic Damage Taken Reduced by [6-10] +[4-5]% to Maximum Cold Resist
Cold Resist +15%
Lightning Resist +[30-35]% Attacker Takes Damage of [4-594] ([4-6] per Level) +[4-5]% to Maximum Lightning Resist
Lightning Resist +15%
Poison Resist +[30-35]% Cannot Be Frozen +[4-5]% to Maximum Poison Resist
Poison Resist +15%

Helm Corruption Mods

Low-Rarity (48% chance) Mid-Rarity (32% chance) High-Rarity (20% chance)
+[20-30]% Faster Hit Recovery Indestructible
+[50-80]% Enhanced Defense
+1 to All Skills
+[50-80]% Enhanced Defense +[150-250] to Attack Rating
+[2-4] to Light Radius
10% Reduced Curse Duration
Replenish Life +[10-20] [3-5]% Life Stolen per Hit All Resistances +[15-20]
Regenerate Mana [15-25]% [3-5]% Mana Stolen per Hit Physical Damage Taken Reduced by [4-6]%
Fire Resist +[30-35]% Increase Maximum Life [4-6]% +[4-5]% to Maximum Fire Resist
Fire Resist +15%
Cold Resist +[30-35]% +[3-4] Life after each Kill +[4-5]% to Maximum Cold Resist
Cold Resist +15%
Lightning Resist +[30-35]% +[3-4] to Mana after each Kill +[4-5]% to Maximum Lightning Resist
Lightning Resist +15%
Poison Resist +[30-35]% Cannot Be Frozen +[4-5]% to Maximum Poison Resist
Poison Resist +15%

Boots Corruption Mods

Low-Rarity (48% chance) Mid-Rarity (32% chance) High-Rarity (20% chance)
+[50-80]% Enhanced Defense Indestructible
+[50-80]% Enhanced Defense
+10% Faster Run/Walk
Regenerate Mana [10-15]% +[5-10]% Faster Block Rate 10% Reduced Curse Duration
[50-100]% Extra Gold from Monsters +[8-14]% Faster Hit Recovery Physical Damage Taken Reduced by [2-3]%
[10-25]% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items +[20-40] to Life Cannot Be Frozen
Fire Resist +[15-20]% All Resistances +[4-8] +[2-3]% to Maximum Fire Resist
Fire Resist +10%
Cold Resist +[15-20]% +[2-3] Life after each Kill +[2-3]% to Maximum Cold Resist
Cold Resist +10%
Lightning Resist +[15-20]% +[2-3] to Mana after each Kill +[2-3]% to Maximum Lightning Resist
Lightning Resist +10%
Poison Resist +[15-20]% Replenish Life +[15-25] +[2-3]% to Maximum Poison Resist
Poison Resist +10%

Gloves Corruption Mods

Low-Rarity (48% chance) Mid-Rarity (32% chance) High-Rarity (20% chance)
+[50-80]% Enhanced Defense +[10-15]% Chance to Pierce +[5-10]% Faster Cast Rate
Regenerate Mana [10-15]% +[10-20]% Faster Block Rate +10% Increased Attack Speed
[50-100]% Extra Gold from Monsters +[100-150] to Attack Rating [5-10]% Increased Chance of Blocking
[10-25]% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items [2-3]% Life Stolen per Hit +[30-40]% Enhanced Damage
Fire Resist +[10-15]% [2-3]% Mana Stolen per Hit -[15-25]% Target Defense
Cold Resist +[10-15]% +[3-6] to All Attributes [6-12]% Deadly Strike
Lightning Resist +[10-15]% +[20-40] to Life +[2-4] to Mana after each Kill
Poison Resist +[10-15]% Replenish Life +[15-20] All Resistances +[4-8]

Belt Corruption Mods

Low-Rarity (48% chance) Mid-Rarity (32% chance) High-Rarity (20% chance)
+[5-10] to Strength +[10-15]% Chance to Pierce +10% Faster Cast Rate
+[5-10] to Dexterity +[8-14]% Faster Hit Recovery +10% Increased Attack Speed
+[5-10] to Vitality +[3-6] to All Attributes +[8-12]% Faster Run/Walk
+[5-10] to Energy Replenish Life +[15-20] 10% Reduced Curse Duration
Fire Resist +[10-15]% Regenerate Mana [10-20]% [5-10]% Increased Chance of Blocking
Cold Resist +[10-15]% Attacker Takes Damage of [2-396] ([2-4] per Level) +[1-2]% to ALL Maximum Resistances
Lightning Resist +[10-15]% [60-100]% Extra Gold from Monsters All Resistances +[4-8]
Poison Resist +[10-15]% [20-30]% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items Physical Damage Taken Reduced by [2-4]%

Ring Corruption Mods

Low-Rarity (48% chance) Mid-Rarity (32% chance) High-Rarity (20% chance)
+[5-10] to Strength +[100-150] to Attack Rating +10% Faster Cast Rate
+[5-10] to Dexterity +[2-3] Life after each Kill +[8-12]% Faster Run/Walk
+[5-10] to Vitality +[2-3] to Mana after each Kill 10% Reduced Curse Duration
+[5-10] to Energy Physical Damage Taken Reduced by [4-6] [3-4]% Mana Stolen per Hit
Fire Resist +[10-15]% Magic Damage Taken Reduced by [4-6] [3-4]% Life Stolen per Hit
Cold Resist +[10-15]% Attacker Takes Damage of [2-396] ([2-4] per Level) +[4-6] to All Attributes
Lightning Resist +[10-15]% [40-80]% Extra Gold from Monsters All Resistances +[3-6]
Poison Resist +[10-15]% [15-20]% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items Cannot Be Frozen

Amulet Corruption Mods

Low-Rarity (48% chance) Mid-Rarity (32% chance) High-Rarity (20% chance)
+[6-12] to Strength +[10-15]% Chance to Pierce +1 to All Skills
+[6-12] to Dexterity +[8-14]% Faster Hit Recovery +10% Faster Cast Rate
+[6-12] to Vitality Replenish Life +[15-25] +[8-12]% Faster Run/Walk
+[6-12] to Energy +[2-3] Life after each Kill [5-10]% Increased Chance of Blocking
Fire Resist +[15-20]% +[2-3] to Mana after each Kill +[20-40]% Enhanced Damage
Cold Resist +[15-20]% Attacker Takes Damage of [3-495] ([3-5] per Level) +[4-8] to All Attributes
Lightning Resist +[15-20]% [60-100]% Extra Gold from Monsters +[1-2]% to ALL Maximum Resistances
Poison Resist +[15-20]% [20-30]% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items All Resistances +[5-10]

Quiver Corruption Mods

Low-Rarity (48% chance) Mid-Rarity (32% chance) High-Rarity (20% chance)
+10% Faster Hit Recovery +10% Faster Run/Walk +1 to All Skills
+[20-40] to Life +[10-15]% Chance to Pierce +10% Increased Attack Speed
[50-100]% Extra Gold from Monsters -[5-10]% to Enemy Fire Resistance 10% Reduced Curse Duration
[10-25]% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items -[5-10]% to Enemy Cold Resistance +[30-40]% Enhanced Damage
Fire Resist +[10-20]% -[10-20]% Target Defense +[10-15] to Minimum Damage
Cold Resist +[10-20]% +[50-100] to Attack Rating +[10-15] to Maximum Damage
Lightning Resist +[10-20]% [2-4]% Mana Stolen per Hit Ignore Target's Defense
Poison Resist +[10-20]% [2-4]% Life Stolen per Hit All Resistances +[5-10]

Map Corruptions[edit]

Maps always gain a corruption modifier when corrupted. Corruption modifiers have 3 tiers (one for each map tier) and their ranges are listed in order.

Corruption Modifiers Range Exp Density MF/GF
Monsters have X% Deadly Strike 5-10
10-15
15-20
4-6
6-8
8-10
35-45
45-55
55-65
Monsters have X% Increased Maximum Life
Monsters have Cannot Be Frozen
5-15
15-25
25-35
6-8
8-10
10-12
35-45
45-55
55-65
Players have -X% Attack and Cast Speed 5-15
15-25
25-35
35-45
45-55
55-65
30-40
40-50
50-60
Players have X% Attack and Cast Speed
Players have X% to Velocity
20-30
30-40
40-50
- - -
Area gains Magic And Gold Find 75-100
100-125
125-150
Area gains Monster Density 60-80
80-100
100-120
Area gains Monster Density & Magic And Gold Find 35-45
45-55
55-65
30-40
40-50
50-60

Annihilus Corruptions[edit]

Tainted Worldstone Shard drops from Rathma and can be used to corrupt Annihilus, either adding a corruption modifier or turning it into a random magic small charm. The item also gains a cosmetic red tint.

  • Corruption modifier (20% chance per modifier)
    • +1 to All Skills
    • +[20-25] to Vitality and +[10-15] to Energy
    • All Resistances +[5-10]
    • +[3-5]% to Experience Gained
  • Turned into a random small charm (20% chance)