This page lists Horadric Cube recipes in PD2, and covers what has changed from the vanilla game. Keep in mind that while many vanilla recipes are quite useful, many others are not.
Gem & Rune Recipes
Flawless Gems, Perfect Gems, and all Runes are now stackable. They can be switched between their stacked and unstacked forms by cubing them. Some other items are newly stackable as well, and those items can be stacked/unstacked in the same way.
|1 unstacked Gem/Rune||stacked Gem/Rune|
|Stacked Gems/Runes of same type||1 unstacked Gem/Rune + remaining Stacked Gems/Runes|
The gem-upgrading recipes are the same except the recipe for upgrading Flawless Gems, which now requires a key in addition to the gems.
|3 Chipped Gems of same type||Flawed Gem of same type|
|3 Flawed Gems of same type||Normal Gem of same type|
|3 Normal Gems of same type||Flawless Gem of same type|
|3 Flawless Gems of same type + Key||Perfect Gem of same type|
The rune-upgrading recipes now require a key in addition to the runes. These recipes no longer require any gems.
|3 El Runes (#1) + Key||1 Eld Rune (#2)|
|3 Eld Runes (#2) + Key||1 Tir Rune (#3)|
|3 Tir Runes (#3) + Key||1 Nef Rune (#4)|
|3 Nef Runes (#4) + Key||1 Eth Rune (#5)|
|3 Eth Runes (#5) + Key||1 Ith Rune (#6)|
|3 Ith Runes (#6) + Key||1 Tal Rune (#7)|
|3 Tal Runes (#7) + Key||1 Ral Rune (#8)|
|3 Ral Runes (#8) + Key||1 Ort Rune (#9)|
|3 Ort Runes (#9) + Key||1 Thul Rune (#10)|
|3 Thul Runes (#10) + Key||1 Amn Rune (#11)||used to require Chipped Topaz|
|3 Amn Runes (#11) + Key||1 Sol Rune (#12)||used to require Chipped Amethyst|
|3 Sol Runes (#12) + Key||1 Shael Rune (#13)||used to require Chipped Sapphire|
|3 Shael Runes (#13) + Key||1 Dol Rune (#14)||used to require Chipped Ruby|
|3 Dol Runes (#14) + Key||1 Hel Rune (#15)||used to require Chipped Emerald|
|3 Hel Runes (#15) + Key||1 Io Rune (#16)||used to require Chipped Diamond|
|3 Io Runes (#16) + Key||1 Lum Rune (#17)||used to require Flawed Topaz|
|3 Lum Runes (#17) + Key||1 Ko Rune (#18)||used to require Flawed Amethyst|
|3 Ko Runes (#18) + Key||1 Fal Rune (#19)||used to require Flawed Sapphire|
|3 Fal Runes (#19) + Key||1 Lem Rune (#20)||used to require Flawed Ruby|
|3 Lem Runes (#20) + Key||1 Pul Rune (#21)||used to require Flawed Emerald|
|2 Pul Runes (#21) + Key||1 Um Rune (#22)||used to require Flawed Diamond|
|2 Um Runes (#22) + Key||1 Mal Rune (#23)||used to require Topaz|
|2 Mal Runes (#23) + Key||1 Ist Rune (#24)||used to require Amethyst|
|2 Ist Runes (#24) + Key||1 Gul Rune (#25)||used to require Sapphire|
|2 Gul Runes (#25) + Key||1 Vex Rune (#26)||used to require Ruby|
|2 Vex Runes (#26) + Key||1 Ohm Rune (#27)||used to require Emerald|
|2 Ohm Runes (#27) + Key||1 Lo Rune (#28)||used to require Diamond|
|2 Lo Runes (#28) + Key||1 Sur Rune (#29)||used to require Flawless Topaz|
|2 Sur Runes (#29) + Key||1 Ber Rune (#30)||used to require Flawless Amethyst|
|2 Ber Runes (#30) + Key||1 Jah Rune (#31)||used to require Flawless Sapphire|
|2 Jah Runes (#31) + Key||1 Cham Rune (#32)||used to require Flawless Ruby|
|2 Cham Runes (#32) + Key||1 Zod Rune (#33)||used to require Flawless Emerald|
Sockets can only be added to 0-socket items that are capable of gaining sockets: helms, chests, shields, and non-throwing weapons. The maximum sockets an item can get is always restricted by the item base. "Standard" refers to items that are neither Superior nor Inferior. Note that the ethereal armor bug has been fixed in PD2.
Larzuk's Puzzlebox is a new item in PD2 that adds 2-4 sockets to two-handed weapons or 1-2 sockets to other items, with equal chances for the number of sockets added. It has a droprate that is similar to a high rune (same TC as Gul/Vex) and can be quite valuable since it can be used alongside Worldstone Shards to get items with both corruption modifiers and multiple sockets.
|Ral Rune + Amn Rune + Perfect Amethyst + Standard Regular Weapon||Adds 1-6 sockets to the Weapon|
|Tal Rune + Amn Rune + Perfect Ruby + Standard Regular Shield||Adds 1-4 sockets to the Shield|
|Tal Rune + Thul Rune + Perfect Topaz + Standard Regular Chest||Adds 1-4 sockets to the Chest|
|Ral Rune + Thul Rune + Perfect Sapphire + Standard Regular Helm||Adds 1-3 sockets to the Helm|
|Hel Rune + Scroll of Town Portal + Any Socketed Item||Destroys gems/runes/jewels in the Item|
|3 Perfect Skulls + Stone of Jordan + Rare Item||Adds 1 socket to the Item|
|Larzuk's Puzzlebox + Two-Handed Weapon||Adds 2-4 sockets to the Item|
|Larzuk's Puzzlebox + Other Item||Adds 1-2 sockets to the Item|
- The socketing recipes for regular items each roll 1-6 sockets with equal chances, but the actual number of sockets added will still be limited by the item base (e.g. Grim Helm will get 1 socket 1/6 of the time and 2 sockets 5/6 of the time)
In addition to these recipes, corruptions also have a chance to add sockets.
Besides recipes, the first quest in Act 5 (Siege on Harrogath) offers another way to get sockets. Larzuk will reward the player by adding sockets to an item of their choice:
- Regular items receive the maximum amount of sockets (depends on the base and ilvl)
- Magic items receive 1-2 sockets (equal chance for either outcome)
- Other items (Unique/Set/Rare/Crafted) receive 1 socket
Set items and crafted items can now be upgraded. Set items use the same recipes as unique items, and crafted items use the same recipes as rare items. These recipes upgrade the item's base and do not affect item affixes.
Item requirements will be increased according to the item's new base. In vanilla, the required level was also increased further by +5/+7 (exceptional/elite) but this is not the case in PD2.
|Ral Rune + Sol Rune + Perfect Emerald + Normal Unique/Set Weapon||Exceptional Version of Weapon|
|Tal Rune + Shael Rune + Perfect Diamond + Normal Unique/Set Armor||Exceptional Version of Armor|
|Lum Rune + Pul Rune + Perfect Emerald + Exceptional Unique/Set Weapon||Elite Version of Weapon|
|Ko Rune + Lem Rune + Perfect Diamond + Exceptional Unique/Set Armor||Elite Version of Armor|
|Ort Rune + Amn Rune + Perfect Sapphire + Normal Rare/Crafted Weapon||Exceptional Version of Weapon|
|Ral Rune + Thul Rune + Perfect Amethyst + Normal Rare/Crafted Armor||Exceptional Version of Armor|
|Fal Rune + Um Rune + Perfect Sapphire + Exceptional Rare/Crafted Weapon||Elite Version of Weapon|
|Ko Rune + Pul Rune + Perfect Amethyst + Exceptional Rare/Crafted Armor||Elite Version of Armor|
- Although armor with Enhanced Defense normally has base defense set to its maximum value + 1, upgraded armor with Enhanced Defense has its base defense value randomly selected again.
- Upgrading ethereal items will not increase their durability, and may actually reduce the current durability by a seemingly random amount.
- Special weapons such as Khalim's Will do not have bases, so will become Hand Axes if upgraded.
The repairing recipes have been merged, and now repair and recharge items without requiring any gems. There's also a new recipe that can be used to repair any item, including ethereal items.
|Ort Rune + non-ethereal Weapon||Repaired/Recharged Weapon||used to require a Chipped Gem|
|Ral Rune + non-ethereal Armor||Repaired/Recharged Armor||used to require a Flawed Gem|
|Zod Rune + Perfect Skull + Item||Repaired/Recharged Item||works with ethereal items|
These recipes create new items - any affixes on ingredient items are not preserved.
If a recipe has stackable gems/runes as ingredients, those ingredients can be stacked or unstacked, and even stacked in different groups. Here are some examples using the rerolling recipe with a grand charm:
|Strangling Gas Potion + Any health potion||Antidote Potion|
|Any 3 health potions + Any 3 mana potions + Chipped Gem||Rejuvenation Potion|
|Any 3 health potions + Any 3 mana potions + Normal Gem||Full Rejuvenation Potion|
|3 Rejuvenation Potions||Full Rejuvenation Potion|
|Any spear + Arrows||Javelin|
|Any axe + Any dagger||Throwing Axe|
Recipes for creating regular arrows from multiple bolts and regular bolts from multiple arrows have been removed.
|El Rune + Chipped Gem + Low Quality Armor||Standard Quality Armor of same type (ilvl = 1)|
|Eld Rune + Chipped Gem + Low Quality Weapon||Standard Quality Weapon of same type (ilvl = 1)|
- These recipes can be used to guarantee a certain number of sockets in combination with Larzuk's quest. Unfortunately, few items can get more than 3 sockets at ilvl 1, so they have limited usefulness.
|3 Magic Amulets||1 Magic Ring (ilvl = clvl*0.75)|
|3 Magic Rings||1 Magic Amulet (ilvl = clvl*0.75)|
|3 Perfect Gems + Magic Item||Magic Item of same type (same ilvl)||cannot be used with corrupted items|
- Rerolling magic items with perfect gems is a good way to get more opportunities at getting specific magic items. Magic items aren't typically competitive with other options, but magic charms have no alternatives so they're a popular choice for rerolling - grand charms are especially useful if they get +1 to a class skill tab.
|3 Chipped Gems + Magic Weapon||Magic Weapon of same type with 1-2 sockets (ilvl = 25)|
|3 Normal Gems + Socketed Weapon||Magic Weapon of same type with 1-2 sockets (ilvl = 30)|
|3 Flawless Gems + Magic Weapon||Magic Weapon of same type with 1-2 sockets (ilvl = 30)|
|6 Perfect Gems (1 of each type except skull) + Magic Amulet||Magic Prismatic Amulet (ilvl = 50)||Prismatic = All Resistances +[16-20]|
|Perfect Emerald + Antidote Potion + Magic Ring||Magic Jade Ring (ilvl = 30)||Jade = Poison Resist +[21-30]%|
|Perfect Ruby + Exploding Potion + Magic Ring||Magic Garnet Ring (ilvl = 30)||Garnet = Fire Resist +[21-30]%|
|Perfect Topaz + Rejuvenation Potion + Magic Ring||Magic Coral Ring (ilvl = 30)||Coral = Lightning Resist +[21-30]%|
|Perfect Sapphire + Thawing Potion + Magic Ring||Magic Cobalt Ring (ilvl = 30)||Cobalt = Sapphire Resist +[21-30]%|
|Any 4 health potions + Any ruby + Magic Sword||Magic Sword of the Leech (same type, ilvl = 30)||of the Leech = [4-5]% Life Stolen per Hit|
|Any 2 skulls + Magic Shield + Any Spiked Club||Magic Shield of Spikes (same type, ilvl = 30)||of Spikes = Attacker Takes Damage of [4-6]|
|Any diamond + Any Kris + Any staff + Any belt||Magic Savage Polearm (random type, ilvl = 50)||Savage = +[66-80]% Enhanced Damage|
|6 Perfect Skulls + Rare Item||Rare Item of same type (ilvl = clvl*0.4 + ilvl*0.4)||cannot be used with corrupted items|
|Perfect Skull + Stone of Jordan + Rare Item||Rare Item of same type (ilvl = clvl*0.66 + ilvl*0.66)||cannot be used with corrupted items|
- Rerolling rare items with perfect skulls is a good way to get more opportunities at getting specific rare items. The ilvl will be reduced each time, so it's most effective on high level characters with high level items - it's particularly effective with items that have few useful high-level affixes (like rings) or Diadems since their high qlvl/mlvl completely counteracts lower ilvls. With repeated rerolling, the ilvl for can stabilize as high as ilvl 65 with a level 98+ character.
Besides recipes, the fifth quest in Act 1 (Tools of the Trade) offers another way to generate rare items. After returning the Horadric Malus, Charsi will imbue a zero-socket regular item of the player's choice. The imbued item will become a new rare item of the same type and have the same possible affixes (indistinguishable from "typical" rares except if it's Wirt's Leg), although there are some differences in the item generation:
imbued ilvl = clvl + 4(capped at 99)
- if an ethereal item is imbued, the resulting item will also be ethereal (no other item stats matter)
- if the item is capable of getting pointmods, it will have much better chances than usual to get pointmods and for those pointmods to be higher level (+3 to multiple skills)
- Note: Pointmod chances are increased based on the character's level, up to level 94
Popular imbue targets are diadems for characters of any level and pointmod-capable items for level 71+ characters. Imbuing other items at lower levels can result in useable items, but will usually prevent the best affixes from having a chance to appear.
While normally considered a downside, corruptions also have a chance to turn items into rares.
|Amulet of the Viper + Staff of Kings||Horadric Staff|
|Khalim's Eye + Khalim's Brain + Khalim's Heart + Khalim's Flail||Khalim's Will|
|1-15 Jewels + Key||1-15 Jewel Fragments|
Jewel Fragments are new items in PD2 - they have no affixes and cannot be socketed into equipment, but can stack up to 50 and be used like jewels for recipes.
|Twisted Essence of Suffering + Charged Essence of Hatred + Burning Essence of Terror + Festering Essence of Destruction||Token of Absolution|
Essences can now drop from bosses in Nightmare difficulty as well as Hell difficulty. (same drop chances)
- Token of Absolution resets character skills/stats
- Twisted Essence of Suffering drops from Andariel/Duriel (~16.1%/~21.3% chance)
- Charged Essence of Hatred drops from Mephisto (~8.3% chance)
- Burning Essence of Terror drops from Diablo (~8.3% chance)
- Festering Essence of Destruction drops from Baal (~8.3% chance)
|Any 3 uber organs (Mephisto's Brain, Diablo's Horn, Baal's Eye) + Key||Pandemonium Talisman|
|Prime Evil Soul + Black Soulstone + Pure Demonic Essence||Vision of Terror|
|Prime Evil Soul + Trang-Oul's Jawbone + Splinter of the Void + Hellfire Torch||Voidstone|
|2 Ancient Bone Fragments + Hellfire Torch||Trang-Oul's Jawbone|
Pandemonium Talisman, Vision of Terror, and Voidstone are new items in PD2, as are the ingredients for Vision of Terror and most of the ingredients for Voidstone. Characters can no longer freely exit/re-enter Uber Tristram while enemies remain within, and the same applies to the new Diablo-Clone fight. Uber Organs now have a 45% droprate instead of 100%.
- Pandemonium Talisman grants access to Uber Tristram for all players near the blood fountain (replaces the direct portal that used to be made with 1 of each uber organ)
- Mephisto's Brain drops from Uber Izual in the Furnace of Pain
- Diablo's Horn drops from Lilith (sometimes referred to as Uber Andariel) in the Matron's Den
- Baal's Eye drops from Uber Duriel in the Forgotten Sands
- Vision of Terror grants access to the new Diablo-Clone fight for all players near the blood fountain (DClone no longer randomly appears when Stones of Jordan are sold to merchants)
- Voidstone grants access to Rathma
- Prime Evil Soul drops from Diablo/Baal in Hell difficulty (1% chance - unconfirmed)
- Splinter of the Void drops from Shadow of Mendeln map event (5% chance)
- Trang-Oul's Jawbone drops from undead enemies (1:300k chance in Hell, less in other difficulties); can also be crafted using Ancient Bone Fragments which drops from those same enemies (1:100k chance in Hell, less in other difficulties)
- Hellfire Torch
|Wirt's Leg + Tome of Town Portal||Opens a portal to the Moo Moo Farm (Secret Cow Level)||Only works in the Rogue Encampment (Act 1 town) with a character that has defeated Baal in the current difficulty|
|Key of Terror + Key of Hate + Key of Destruction||Opens a portal to one of the mini-uber areas (Furnace of Pain, Matron's Den, Forgotten Sands)||Only works in Harrogath (Act 5 town) in Hell difficulty; which area the portal opens is random, but they will not repeat if opened in the same game|
Killing the Cow King will no longer prevent you from opening the Secret Cow Level. Uber Keys now have slightly different colors to help differentiate them, and are now also dropped by Blood Raven, Bloodwitch, and Izual in Hell difficulty. Uber Keys now have a 100% droprate rather than an average of 8.2% - 1/14 (Terror), 1/11 (Hate), 1/12 (Destruction).
- Key of Terror drops from The Countess and Blood Raven
- Key of Hate drops from The Summoner and Bloodwitch
- Key of Destruction drops from Nihlathak and Izual
Main article: Crafting
- Crafting recipes are no longer limited to specific item bases (such as Helm/Casque/Armet for Blood Helms)
- Circlets (and quivers) are the exception, and cannot be crafted with
- Safety Weapon crafts are restricted to Bows and Crossbows
- Using an ethereal item to craft will cause the resulting item to be ethereal
- Crafted items no longer have higher level requirements than their rare equivalents (was +10 with an additional +3 per affix, up to +22)
- Crafted items can now be upgraded (same recipes as upgrading rares)
- The predetermined affixes for many crafts have been adjusted, and new Vampiric/Bountiful crafting recipes have been added
Main article: Corruptions
Worldstone Shards can be used to corrupt equipment and maps, either adding a corruption modifier or sockets (if applicable), or turning the item into a random rare of the same type. Maps always gain a corruption modifier when corrupted. Items cannot be corrupted more than once.
- Regular/Ethereal Equipment
- 50% chance to gain sockets (up to the maximum amount of sockets)
- 50% chance to turn into a random rare
- Other Equipment (Socketable)
- 25% chance to gain sockets (1-3 for armor, 1-4 for one-handed weapons, 1-6 for two-handed weapons)
- 50% chance to gain a modifier
- 25% chance to turn into a random rare
- Other Equipment (Unsocketable)
- 75% chance to gain a modifier
- 25% chance to turn into a random rare
Main article: Maps
Maps can be modified with several items via the Horadric Cube.
- Arcane Orb (upgrades regular to magic)
- Zakarum Orb (upgrades regular to rare)
- Angelic Orb (upgrades magic to rare)
- Orb of Destruction (downgrades to regular)
- Horadrim Orb (rerolls rare)
- Cartographer's Orb (combines 3 into a higher tier)
- Horadrim Scarab (turns a T3 into a dungeon)
- Standard of Heroes (adds heroic bonuses)